Monday, November 1, 2010

walking with a ghost

the strain of the windup of my old life is really starting to show in me. it's becoming increasingly difficult to maintain an even keel through all of this. the cracks are a little more obvious, and it's really getting challenging to keep the rage and disappointment from seeping through and spattering themselves all over innocent bystanders. i truly believe that even those people who offer themselves as support, as comfort, during difficult times should be spared unnecessary emotional fallout (exhibit A: the man). but it's really getting hard to hold back the worst of it.

making things strangely, cruelly WORSE, though, is when things get a little better on that front. it's not that i want things to stay bad between us. far from it. i would love nothing more on this earth than to stay friendly with someone who used to matter so much to me. i can't express that strongly enough. but the savage nature of the way things are ending have cast so much doubt on the possibility of that ever happening. i am almost 100% resigned to chilly silence on that front.

but then, every so often, things like today happen. we had a real, honest and friendly conversation about mutual friends and recent events. good god, it was almost like the old days again. y'know, except for that whole severed ties, bitter arguments thing. to have things be so pleasant, so nice, so fun, knowing how angry and hurt he's made me time and time again, was alternately so amazing and thoroughly painful. i really can't react to this. i want it; i don't. it's violently bipolar.

the silent, angry path would be easier to walk now. it would hurt, but it would be simple. but there are dashes of good, pleasant and nice here and there that make this so much more complicated. his parents did the same thing: they fought bitterly, but then they danced like nothing changed at their son's wedding. is that my future with him? i don't know. i don't know if i want it to be. i have so much going for me down the road i walk alone. i have my dream career to reach for, i have the man i was meant to have. but there's this last vestige of... something. he's haunting the peripherals of my life, sometimes benevolently, sometimes malevolently. i don't know if i can manage what this means. all i know is that this makes the situation infinitely more complicated. is that what i want?

4 comments:

  1. I once wrote a friend an e-mail all about the ghost of a man who once hurt me, very, very badly. I told her of his hauntings. And she reminded me that ghosts only have power if you believe in them. "You give that ghost life each time you look for him in the room of your heart." That's what she wrote to me then, and I still remember it now. And you know what? She was/is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would say that you actually do want it more complicated based upon the very first post you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. relationships are tough but they make you grow

    ReplyDelete
  4. While sometimes it seems easier, angry bitterness actually takes MORE energy and can actually mask the real issues because it is so all consuming. I think you have to let things be what they are. My advice? Focus on the good things you've got going--career, man,YOU, etc. Not much else deserves your attention.

    ReplyDelete

your turn.