Saturday, October 2, 2010

still of the night

heavens preserve us, folks: the man has a cold.

this is not going to be one of those "OMG, men are SOOOO pathetic when they're sick, hee hee!" rants. the man is a stoic, pretty much all the time (except when we're alone). he bears his various crosses with a quiet resolve that i envy on basically an hourly basis. but even that stoicism can be a pain, especially when I show up all dressed to kill to go out, take one look at him, and realize, well, this was totally not necessary. sigh.

the upshot of this situation is that i got to fall into bed with him early and rest up. so that's what we did. we both needed the rest, so i drifted off early (for us, anyway) all wrapped up with my nyquil-dosed man. but a funny thing happened at one point. i woke up for a moment after a particularly odd dream (i mean, what girl doesn't dream of spending extended periods of time with rex ryan?), stirring in the darkness. he tightened his arms around me and kissed me on the shoulder. mmm. soothing. i settled back down, and just before i fully fell back to sleep, i felt his breath against me, whispering one small sentence in my ear.

"glad you're here."

the stoic reveals his heart in the subtlest of ways, when the risk is low and the reward is high. not that the man is cold; quite the contrary. he's physically demonstrative, supportive and loyal. but he's just not a talker. well, until now. at a vulnerable moment, when all he wanted was a little comfort, he got it. and he thanked me for it the best way he could: with a three-word summation of the love between us, whispered gently in the still of the night. i couldn't ask for anything more.

5 comments:

  1. My man is just another on the 'men are pathetic when sick' side.
    Sounds like you had a nice night, Nyquil and all. Hearing nice things makes it a lot more special when it's a bit more rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really sweet.

    I LOVE Nyquil.

    I hope he gets better soon. Being sick just sucks. Also, I really hope you don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be a cold epidemic going around. I don't miss work often, but I am home today with the worst cold. It started Friday morning.

    Not all of us guys are pathetic sick guys... :o)

    At least I hope I'm not... his message to you... 'glad you are here' sounds really really dear...

    :o)

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guy isn't the most demonstrative person in the world, but he does slip and let me see his soft side when he has to take any kind of meds. I only recently found your blog, and look forward to getting to know you better. Peace to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud at your Rex Ryan line. Men are the worse when they are sick, but it made me smile that he wanted you there with him.

    ReplyDelete

your turn.