Saturday, June 26, 2010

big brother

oh, the sine wave that is my life has thrown me all around today. but as i get ready to fall asleep, i feel okay at last. i was up earlier in the morning; went to class, got some studying done, all is right with the world. but of course, as always happens on the weekends, the evening rolled around and it slowly started to dawn on me that i had no plans. i should be at a point in my life where a friday evening in isn't a problem, and yet i always get this sensation that i'm the least popular kid in high school when this happens.

enter my beloved big "brother." i am an only child, of course, and so is he. but this guy and i have grown up together, literally. as in, knew each other before puberty grown up together. through thick and thin, no matter what, he's always had my back. it's almost like he can sense that i've been on emotional tenterhooks for the better part of the month, and unbidden he came in and said, "hey, let's all go to dinner." excellent. it doesn't take much to get me settled down; all i need is some place to go and i feel human again.

the weirdness that was dinner was another story. it's almost ancillary; i'll get into it another time. we said goodbye to our other friend and big bro and i went to hang out at his apartment. slowly, surely, he worked out of me all the crap that's been clanging around in my head. and, not only did he listen, but he offered feedback. solutions. things to think about. strategies to consider. y'know, like any good friend would. not only that, but it was so personally tailored to me and how i operate that i instantly felt a weight lift off my shoulders.

that, my friends, is a "brother's" love. and i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. I have people like that, but they live too far away for those comforting hang outs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted a big brother, but I'm the oldest in my family. Fortunately, I had a few guys that were like brothers to me when I was in college...I miss those guys so much! I hate that when people graduate they move far, far away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, that's pretty rough. 'course, i was that person who left. i did it in high school and college, then again when i went to school. i'm tired of bailing, though; i'm gonna put down roots for awhile.

    ReplyDelete

your turn.