Tuesday, July 6, 2010

validation

sometimes, the universe comes through for you in ways you just never saw coming. today was the bar review "mid-term," so to speak - a SEVEN-HOUR mock-up of the second day of the virginia bar exam. yuck, yuck, yuck. i slogged through it, knowing i am not close to where i want to be in a couple of subjects, and came home just enervated as hell, not wanting to look at a law book. i wanted to drink wine and read a novel instead of attacking the books again.

then i checked the mail. i got my certificate of appreciation from my externship class from last semester at school, but there was something else in the envelope along with it. turns out that a huge project i did during that three months at the court has now become binding precedent - in other words, the law - in the circuit where i worked. let me tell you, there is NOTHING cooler to a law dork such as myself as knowing that words i drafted are going into the southern reporter, to be researched and potentially cited someday.

this is why i do what i do. this is exactly why i kill myself like this. i am going to be a lawyer. i love the law, i love working with it, and i love the results of what i do. so thank you, universe, for the supreme reminder of why i'm sitting here surrounded by notecards and outlines on this hot summer night. you've saved my drive, my motivation and my satisfaction with my chosen profession. i needed that.

7 comments:

  1. WOW! I'm not even a law dork and I think that's the most impressive thing I've heard all day! Congratulations to you, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, y'all! it really couldn't have come at a better time, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That really is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!!!! At times... when Life senses that we need a lift... some form of affirmation comes along!!! How Cool is THIS?!?!?!?!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel...all through school I just kept wondering what could have posessed me to major in chemistry, since all I ever did was study, hit my head against the wall, and study some more. But it's what I love. The end.

    ReplyDelete

your turn.